With a belief that every baby, no matter how brief their life, should be wrapped in a cozy blanket or given a beautiful hat, the Still Remembered Project knows how cherished knitted, crocheted and sewn items are to families who have lost a baby. The Stitched with Love project was formed to help ensure that every baby and family has the gift of a handcrafted item for a baby or in honor of a baby.
Stitched with Love collects a variety of homemade knitted, crocheted and sewn items which are all donated to local hospitals, funeral homes and bereaved families. Volunteers, mostly bereaved mothers and grandmothers, donate their time and talent to create all of these priceless items for the tiniest of babies. Every stitch is done with love.
We are forever grateful.
Interested in donating or volunteering with Stitched with Love? Read the information below, check out our Frequently Asked Questions or email us at email@example.com.
Looking to use your knitting, crocheting and sewing skills to create handmade items for Stitched with Love? Below are some patterns to get you started.
Check out the videos below, made by SRP volunteers for a Girl Scout project. They show you a simple way to get started with crochet.
Guidelines for Stitched with Love Items
- Worsted, DK, Sport or baby weight yarn – no bulky yarns.
- Cotton and synthetic yarns only.
- Kindly we ask that NO wool, alpaca, or yarn made from animal fiber is used.
- Identify the yarn type and include washing instructions with the donation.
- Pastels and light shades are preferred.
- No florescent or neon colors please.
- Variegated yarn can be used if it is pastel and light shades.
- Variegated yarns in neon or florescent shades cannot be accepted.
- Minimum size of 24 inches x 24 inches
- Maximum size of 36 inches x 36 inches
- The patterns listed on our site are suggestions only.
- Please feel free to use a different pattern.
- Hats sized micro preemie to newborn are welcomed and must have a loose or elastic fit, especially around the forehead.
- All donations MUST be laundered prior to donating.
- Please include a note if you are unable to launder the items.Make sure you check all hand sewn items to remove any needles or pins you may have used during construction
Where do I send Items?
Volunteers will make arrangements to pick up donations in the Pittsburgh area. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Donations to Stitched with Love may be sent to:
Stitched with Love
C/O The Still Remembered Project
PO Box 13
Bethel Park, PA 15102
Angel Gowns are created from donated wedding gowns. Our volunteers take fabric from donated wedding gowns and redesign them into simple, tiny gowns for a precious baby. These gowns are offered to families whose babies have passed away as a precious outfit for them to dress their little one in. Some families will have their baby baptized, blessed or photographed in the gown. Others will choose to bury their baby in these precious garments.
We are not accepting wedding gown donations or completed Angel Gowns. Our partners are fully supplied to support families, and our seamstresses still have many dresses in queue for transformation.